Tuesday 8 January 2013

Under the Same Stars


It is over a month since we met to discuss this book, I didn't keep any notes, have returned my copy of the book to the library and we've had the Christmas festive season in between to further addle my brain.  So expect even less accuracy and insight than you normally would...  As I remember it, Carole who had chosen the book was relatively positive about it, although obviously knocked off a point for the violent death of an innocent pooch.  She felt that it was a fairly accurate portrayal of a depressive character (based on the author himself) and enjoyed the narrative style as well as the content.  Anna & our new book group member George were deeply unimpressed - they both felt that the language was over indulgent and had no sympathy with the main character.  In view of this, Carole put her score up a bit...!  I quite enjoyed the book, largely because it was so rude about Americans, but felt frustrated about the father's character, that seemed so contradictory and unrealistic.  Chris found the story very turgid, and again felt little empathy with the characters.  Judging by her score, Caroline liked it (but, so sorry Caroline, I can't remember why...!) I vow to be more timely with next month's write up...Please add stuff in the comment box to make it a more accurate record

Judith's write up
Personally I was a bit prejudiced against it from the start after realising that the author was the same guy who writes a column I really hate in the Saturday Guardian! I didn't hate the book, just felt a bit indifferent to it and felt it didn't know quite what it wanted to be - some moments of pathos, some humour, but nothing very definite (although arguably that was all part of the slightly wishy washy 'British' persona it was trying to convey). I found the main character (his depression notwithstanding) just so unlikeable, though, that I didn't really care about his 'journey'. thought the writing was poor (over-descriptive and a bit indulgent) at the start although it improved as the book progressed. Also thought it was all tied up too neatly at the end.

Scores

Carole         8
Chris           5
Caroline       8
Annie           7
George         3
Anna            6
Judith            5

No comments:

Post a Comment